Sorry for the silence, not much has been really going on. We went to Maine on the 4th, but it rained, so we didn't do much. It was nice to get away though. The dogs had fun, they were loose and fancy free.
After having a week off, went to Dana as usual. They took blood as usual. My red blood cell count, hemoglobin and platelet counts were L-O-W! Here are my counts vs. normal:
RBC Count: 2.73 (Normal 3.8-5.0)
Hemoglobin: 7.7 (Normal 11.9-15.0)
Platelet: 91 (Normal 155-410)
The doctor was called...he said he hasn't seen them this low. So he recommended a blood transfusion and he wants to hold off on treatment for a couple of weeks.
So I still got the Epo shot, but I had to come in on Saturday (yesterday) to get the blood transfusion. Well, that explains the exhaustion.
Went to my parent's for dinner, and decided to stay over, it would be silly to drive all the way home only to come back for 9am the next day.
The hospital has a different "feel" to it on Saturday, not as much hustle and bustle. More quiet. Less people. Less wait.
The nurse tried to get an IV in me, she blew the first vein, then tried the other hand, and couldn't get the IV in. Third times the charm, only with a different nurse. Finally got the IV in and they brought the blood in. My blood type is A+. The blood was donated from someone in Dedham. I got 2 pints into me and it was weird. I've never had a blood transfusion and watching the blood flow into me was a little unnerving and skeevy. I had someone else's blood flowing into me. So weird. But I am grateful for the donation! Maybe if I was a vampire I could've just bit into the bag and drank it! LOL The nurse said I wouldn't feel the effects until today. News flash: nothing yet, still exhausted. Guess I'm too impatient.
Yesterday, we had friends over for fireworks, East Brookfield had their fireworks yesterday. Guess what?? It started raining when they started them! Oh boy. This damn rain is damn depressing, we haven't had a summer and it's the middle of July. I need some sun.
So now I have 2 weeks off from treatment to give my blood marrow time to make red blood cells again. The doc said I'm very sensitive to chemo. Don't know if that's good or bad. Hopefully, the cancer is sensitive to chemo too!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
"A" positive is the best flavor. I'll donate some more for you in 6 weeks
I'm A+, too. If you need any more blood, I'm the gal for you. When I was first told my blood type, I was told I had a good "grade" -- A Plus! I always knew you and I were very smart!
My blood didn't study very hard it's only a B-
Less vampire-ing, more blogging!!
=P
Post a Comment