Friday, February 19, 2010

Automated Hell

I have recently found a new job! It's a contract job at Genzyme in Framingham. It's a 3-month assignment, but the project I was assigned to is going to go on to at least April of 2011, so hopefully they will continue to re-up my contract, and maybe even make me a permanent employee. That's my goal. I started this week, on Tuesday. This company is SO huge, I feel like a very small fish in a very large pond. I'm used to being in companies that are only in one building, not like Genzyme.

I don't have a cubicle or anything, I was put into what is affectionately called "The War Room." Now, if that's not an indication of something, I don't know what is! There are like 16 people in this room. We are set up on tables and I have a miniscule amount of space, enough to fit my keyboard and laptop and THAT'S IT! Talk about being ergonomically INCORRECT! I have no place to put my coat or purse. And I don't even get a drawer. I understand that I'm a contractor and only temporary, so they don't want to dump any resources to us, but come on!

Anyways, to recap my first day:

1) Got settled into my new home.

2) Got a laptop.

3) Got all my logins. Had a problem with logging in. Locked out of account. Had to call the help desk.

4) Training…Overwhelmed.

5) No supplies, no paper, no pens, no paper clips. Nada. Had to borrow someone’s pen and write on napkins. (How much does this company make??)

6) I misjudged the speed of the printer, so everyone had to wait for me to print my long-ass SOPs.

7) And lastly, and most hilarious:


So I go to the ladies room right…easy task? Nope, not for me.

Welcome to my automated HELL.

First, the toilet is automated, but it wouldn’t flush, so I had to manually flush it.

Second, the soap dispenser is automatic and I misjudged the trajectory of the soap (usually it comes right below the spigot. Nope, not this one, this one had a very large arc), so it missed my hands. Had to repeat, got it now. Fool me once, shame on you…

Third, the faucet is automatic, so I try to rinse my hands. Water comes on, so I rinse my hands. Thought I was done with that, but OH NOOOOOO, the movement of my hands away from the faucet caused the friggin soap to dispense, so now I have soap on my hands again. Rinse the second time.

Now I try to move away from the soap, and to my left is the paper towel dispense, which is also automatic, so now the paper is rolling out!

I couldn’t move anywhere without something going off!!!!!! OMG

Can’t wait to see what happens on Day 2!

Day 2 was pretty uneventful. Meetings on stuff I don't know much about yet, but it was good to go so that I can start getting the "lingo".

I have friends who work here, but they are in another building, so I don't see them. That sucks.

But it's a job, so I am not complaining.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the new job, and thanks for sharing funny stories! I'm betting on you getting the permanent position, rather than "lady on the left". Can't wait to hear more about it!

Corey

Anonymous said...

Be careful. Big brother is watching. Talking poorly about people and a company have a funny way of getting back to them....Must be nice to be so judgemental of people, their abilities...wondering if maybe these people feel the twist of the knife in their backs....Perfect? Only perfect person walked on this earth along time ago, last I checked you were not him...Grow up..Get a life...

Anonymous said...

Another thing...competition....Genzyme contract jobs NEVER go permanent!

Raffi said...

Em, you got owned religious style. I never read anywhere where you claimed yourself "perfect". There is nothing wrong with saying what you did, there is no need to defend yourself in your own personal blog. If that is how you feel, this is where it goes a place where you share with your friends. You did not babble it at the office water cooler. That being said, anonymous people can search you (this blog) out and read it, you are not hiding it from anyone. I feel that the "anonymous" is the malcontent here. In one swoop they implied that they are "Big Brother" and watching you at your place of work; not a man, not mature and desirable; and that because of these things, you will not have a permanent position @ Genzyme. I would not worry about "anonymous".. a person worthy of a management position would never act in such ways. If they were, their job would be in jeopardy.

I think you should re-post you original entry.

sister said...

Hey to whomever wrote that last comment to Emily...SHUT UP!!! Someone seriously needs to get a life because you are reading someone's post that you do not even know. Do you not have friends of your own that you need to bother my sister?? Leave her alone because you do not even know her. If you did know her you would come to know right off the bat that you are privilaged to know her. She is an amazing woman and it is a shame that you cannot see that through her blogs. So she had a bad day...get off it!!!!Find something else to do with your time!!


I love you Emily and Thom and talk to you soon!! =) LOL!!!