Sunday, June 20, 2010

Doctor's Visit

Saw the doctor on the 11th. Seems like my tumor markers are creeping up again. They are still very low, but he's going to watch them over the next couple of cycles. I will see him again in August, where he will check the markers again. If they are still going up, he wants to switch my chemo. The next chemo will be in pill form. Yes, I said pill form. This means a few things.

1) I won't have to go into Boston every week.
2) I get a break from being poked by needles.
3) This means that yet another treatment is crossed off the list. I really wish that these treatments last more than 1 year. The hormone treatments only lasted a year, and now this is a year. There are only an finite number of treatments out there, and if they only last a year each...well...

The side effects for the pill chemo is redness, ichiness and maybe rashes on the palms and the heal of the feet. It doesn't make hair fall out, so maybe I'll get my eyebrows to grow back.

I'm torn about this. I felt that this current therapy was working wonderfully, which it was. I'm afraid to change. And I had begun looking forward to my treatments every week. It was almost a comfort. I know, I'm weird.

Work has been great. I'm enjoying it a lot. They are keeping me busy, which is good for me.

I ended up in the hospital about a week and half ago. It started out with an infection: fever, naseau, and vomiting. Couldn't keep anything down, even water. Ended up in the ER and found out I was very dehydrated. After being in the hospital for 4 hours, they were ready to discharge me. I had my shoes on when I started to get the chills again. The nurse looked at me and could see that I was regressing. That's when they decided to keep me overnight. I craved water, and that's all I could think about, I was obsessed with drinking water. And no matter how much I drank, I still wanted more. It was crazy.

I was at this little hospital close to home, and it's pretty high tech. There's a barcode on my ID bracelet, and before they give me anything, they scan the bracelet, and then the meds/IV, whatever. It all goes into a computer. It's very neat.

Anyways, my 102.5 fever broke in the middle of the night, and that's when I started to feel better. I got to go home later that afternoon. I never want to feel like that again, it was horrible. Now I'm drinking water like it's going out of style. They told me I should be drinking about 9 glasses of water a day.

Nothing funny has been happening in my life lately! I need blog material!! :)

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Man...I hope your treatments don't have to be switched so soon. We love you!