Sunday, September 12, 2010

September 11th

I can hardly believe that it's been 9 years since that day, a day that is still so sharp in my memory.

I was at work, randomizing groups of rats for a study that was running later that day. I was with my friend Shannon, in one of the supervisor's offices. He came in and told us that a plane had flown into the WTC. I remember thinking that it had to have been some kind of accident. Then, news of the second plane hitting the other tower spread. It now became horrifyingly real. What the hell was going on? And not too soon after that, we heard that another plane hit the pentagon. What was happening?? Now I was thinking, will this ever end? How many more planes? Well, one more plane, this time in a field. My heart was in my stomach. How many more?? OH MY GOD, what was happening?!?!? Work ceased. We were all just standing around, not knowing what to do, what to say. We didn't have any TV's, so we were all on the internet. Those pictures will never leave my memory. When I got home, I sat in front of the TV for the rest of the day. I was sick to my stomach. Why would anyone do this? HOW could anyone do this?

Those poor people, their poor families! God bless them, God bless those brave men and women who went to Ground Zero and helped out. These people are now suffering from all sorts of illnesses. Toxic fumes. Unimaginable sites. How can one recover from these? How can we all recover? We are all still recovering. It's just all so unfathomable. There are just no words.

And now they want to build a mosque near Ground Zero? Really? Do you have to build it RIGHT there? Isn't New York big enough for you to find somewhere else? Must you rub salt in a wound that will never close? I am all for religious freedom, but their location is in poor taste. They can build their temple, just SOMEWHERE else. It's disrespectful.

That is all.

To change to subject to something happier...Thom and I went to see the Captains from the Deadliest Catch, as you all know is my favorite show. It was Captain Sig and Jonathan and Andy Hillstrand. I couldn't believe that I was seeing them in person! I was so happy. I tried to take pictures, but the quality didn't come out too good, the battery died in the camera, and it was dark. I have a couple that I will post as soon as I download them from the camera to my computer.

They were so funny! They are so down to earth, just regular guys doing their jobs. That's why so many people like the show and them. They don't pull any punches, what you see is what you get. I wished I was closer, I wanted to reach out and shake their hands. Wanted to say Thank you. Thank you for helping me through chemo sessions. I watch the show when I'm at Dana-Farber. It's a comfort thing. I would love to meet them. They were so funny! At the end, they got 2 volunteers to put on the survival suits in under 4 minutes. That's a drill they have to do before they set out to sea.

I can cross that off my list of Things I want to Do. You know, my bucket list...but I'm not allowed to call it that! :)

What a great night! There are just so many fans out there, it's unbelievable.

Next up, in November, is meeting Buddy from the Cake Boss. I actually have a "meet and greet" with him. Can we make it a "meet and eat"?!?! Hahaha.

This afternoon, Thom and I have a golf tournament to attend. It's a fundraising activity for my friend Libby who does the Avon walk for cancer every year. I don't golf, but I'll be attending the banquet. I'll drive the golf cart around, I like doing that! But no one trusts me to do that, for some reason...

No comments: