Sunday, January 9, 2011

Brain Fry

Hello!  I made it through my first week of radiation.  It was a long week.  I have a whole head radiation treatment everyday for 2 weeks (not including the weekends, thank God).  I have to go into Boston, which makes it even more tiring.  It's funny, I'm at work by 5am and it's fine, but to get to Boston by 8 is hell!  Go figure.

The side effects I've had is extreme fatigue.  I thought I was tired before.  But to piss me off, I've been unable to get a full night's sleep this weekend.  Thank God for naps. 

I want to thank everyone who's offered to help.  Thank you Libby for driving me in on Friday.  It means more than you know.  Leigh, I'll be calling you today to see if you'll drive me one day.  You guys are the best.  It touches my heart to know that you guys are out there.  I love you.

Went to Dallas for the New Year and I met Captain Mayo's fiancee, Michelle.  He is now known as the "Wheels of Justice" because he is going to law school and his bookbag has wheels.  Sucks to be old.  LOL  Michelle is one of the most giving, interesting and wonderful people I have ever met.  She has a big heart and I love her for that.  I got to talk to her about the cancer and she offered me the opportunity to just let go and tell her my deepest fears.  We had a good cry and I felt a weight lifted off of me.  I had the BEST time in Dallas.  Ever since visiting Jim in Corpus Christi, I have fallen in love with Texas.  They tell me the summers there are brutal, but I still would like to move there. 

On the plane on the way there, I sat next to a 16 year old boy who was on his way home.  He was so nice, respectful and funny, I was amazed.  A 16 year old who is not a tool?  Wow.  Blew my mind.  I came to find out that the people in Texas are like that, normally.  I met some of Michelle's friends, and they welcomed me with open arms.  I felt like I knew them for years instead of minutes.  Such a contrast to people here in the northwest.  We look down, don't offer any help, are selfish and mean (not everyone though).  Total opposite there.  It was eye-opening and wonderful.  I took pictures of these people who treated me so special so that I may remember them.  I will be seeing most of them at their wedding in May, so I'm looking forward to that.  So yes, I'm going back to Texas in May.  Can't wait.

It seems that I have the flying fear under control now.  What, with both the trip to Chicago and to Texas in the same month, it's like old hat now.  I am so grateful for that because now my world has opened up even more and I can travel like I've always wanted to do.

I almost forgot...on the flight down to Texas, we had to make an emergency landing!  It was crazy!  I have never landed in an airplane so fast before.  There was a woman who was in a diabetic coma in first class.  We diverted to the Memphis airport.  The captain kept us all informed on what was going on, so it made it a little less unnerving.  It was like a roller coaster ride, or at least, what I picture a roller coaster ride to feel like.  That lady is ok.

My trip to Chicago was wonderful also.  I got to meet my new nephew Logan, and spend some time with Brianna and my sister.  It was sooo cold there, we couldn't really go out much.  It was bloody frigid.  Chicago is nice, but I'm not sure I could ever live there.  We almost did though.  I hate the cold.  I hate being cold.  Blah.

I have so much to update.  Again, I apologize for neglecting this blog.  I get a lot of slack for it too!  :)

Christmas was AWESOME!  Santa was all too generous this year.  I got an iPad, Gummi Savers (a tradition), and a bunch of little things, but the best presents off all were found in a blue box wrapped with a white ribbon.  Yes, Tiffany!  Not only  one, but two boxes!  To say I was flabbergasted would be an understatement.  I told Santa not to bring me anything because the iPad was enough, but he never listens.  I got a beautiful necklace and a matching bracelet.  I love it love it love it!  Thank you Santa, I love you more than you will ever know or that I can tell you.  Muah!  I was spoiled.

Thom surprised me even more by redoing the upstairs bathroom while I was in Chicago!!  He also moved the washer/dryer upstairs, which I think is the best thing since sliced bread!  It's so awesome to have the laundry room right outside the bedroom!  I don't have to lug heavy baskets up 2 flights of stairs.  The bathroom looks spectacular!  I love it!

Phew, that's a lot of stuff. 

Work has been SO understanding and kind to me through all of this.  I'm so lucky to be working there.  I love my job.

So, I said goodbye to 2010 and welcomed 2011 with open arms!  It has started out fine!  A new chapter is being written...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Em!

If you need anything (including a ride), please feel free to give me a call! Lori always tells me I need to get out of the house more anyways! :) Plus, its not like we live far from each other!!

Anyways, We are always thinking about you!

John D