Sunday, October 16, 2011

Roof is now fixed!

We had a roofer come today and put the finishing touches on our roof today, so it's done!  Well, half of it is, the half that was leaking.  What a relief it is to not have to worry about my bedroom ceiling caving in. 

Today was Week 1 of a new chemo cycle.  I am given anti-nausea and steroids to get rid of any side effects, but the steroids keep me awake for almost 2 days.  I'm tired, but can't sleep.  So, Thom mentioned I should blog.  Good idea, since once again, I'm slacking!  :)

But the steroids were also good in another way today.  We had a wedding reception to attend and I had enough energy to boogie the night away!!  I had so much fun!  Love to dance, just have to make sure I don't overdo it.  People say I'm looking good these days, and I feel pretty good, thank God.

I'm going to try this new thing.  I've had a jar, a "journal jar" that I've had since I kept paper journals and it's a recipe for a life story!  It reads, "Every day (or whenever in my case) select a journal slip.  Paste it to the top of a fresh journal page and fill in your answer.  Enjoy the memories."  Seems fun, and you never know where I'll end up when answering these!  Hahaha

Q:  Describe your yard as a child - did you help with the yardwork?

A:  Living in the city, we only had a postage size backyard.  My grandparents were living on the 3rd floor.  My dad made the whole yard into a garden - we were never without fresh fruits and veggies.  I remember being out there with my dad and my Nonno checking out the tomatoes and finding the ugliest, largest green worms on the tomato plants!  Eecckkk.  It had a horn on it's head and totally nasty.  My dad would just pick it up with his fingers (Yuck!), did a shallow hole, put the worm in it, and proceeded to cut it in half with his shovel and covered it up.  But I have a picture of what the yard looked like:

Imagine what it was like once everything started growing in.  One of my favorite meals was what we call "vecchie".  My mom would take the flowers from the pumpkins, mix it up with flour, Parmesan/Romano cheese, garlic, onions and water and made like a pancake mix.  Then she'd fry them.  They were so good!  :)  Good memories!'

I don't know if I've said this before, but I must say that not working anymore was a very good decision.  Now I get enough rest and "try" to do things on my list, but I'm finding that I'm busy and the day goes by so fast...but they are fun things, so it's not as tiring. 

Well, happy tomorrow!  Can't say that I'm anymore tired than I was before!  Maybe reading will tire my eyes.  Till next time, peace!

1 comment:

Christine said...

Great idea with the journal jar! Did you make it yourself or is it something that you can buy?

Love the pic of you and your dad's old garden! I know the exact gross worms you are talking about--hornworms. They are ugly and creepy. I've luckily only seen a couple on my tomato plants over the past 13 years of gardening! I made my dad come by and pick them off for me. :)