Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Hip Biopsy Results

Got the results from my hip biopsy. As suspected, the cells in my hips are also Estrogen/Progesterone Receptor +, same as the breast tumor. So, that means I can begin treatment! Finally!

I will begin taking a drug called Tamoxifen, it's one pill a day. The way in which Tamoxifen works is this (quoted from http://www.cancerbackup.org.uk/ - Don't want to plagiarize!):

Most breast cancers need supplies of the female hormone oestrogen to grow. Cancer cells have proteins called receptors on their surface that the sex hormones attach to. Cancers with oestrogen-receptors on the surface of their cells are called 'oestrogen-receptor-positive' (ER-positive) and tamoxifen is most effective against these cancers.

Under normal circumstances, when oestrogen comes into contact with the receptors, it fits into them and activates the cancer cells to divide so that the tumor grows.

Tamoxifen imitates the action of oestrogen and fits into the receptor but does not activate the cells to divide. The tamoxifen stays in place and stops oestrogen from reaching the cancer cells so that they either grow more slowly or stop growing altogether.

I will continue taking Tamoxifen until it stops working. Side effects include menopausal symptoms, hot flashes, night sweats, etc. So watch out! I'm going to be one hot, sweaty, biotch with an attitude! :) People at work better get their SOPs* reviewed! Or else...

I will have an increased risk of developing blood clots, so I was told that if I notice any swelling in my feet, I need to hot-trot it down to the nearest emergency room, because that's not something I want to mess around with. Guess I will just have to walk around the office a lot more and not sit at my desk all day.

It takes Tamoxifen about a few months to get really going, it needs to build up in my system. When it's been about 3 months, Dr. Silver will start measuring the tumor in my left breast and start to take images from time to time. I asked him what happens, if at 3 months, we see no change? He said he would be very happy with that. He told me that if he could freeze time until I'm 85, he would be ecstatic. But, if it gets bigger, then we will have to attack it more aggressively. He's very positive that I will respond well to this.

I have a follow-up appointment with Dr. Silver in one month to see how I'm reacting to the medicine.


*SOPs: Standard Operating Procedures - it is basically the "how-to" on doing tests in the lab. A recipe book, if you will. Because, after all, it's all about food! :D

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's always those damn sex cells that get you.... right?!!!!! :)~

Corey

Anonymous said...

Very, verrry sneaky Emily. The cancer will be all "Oh sweet! Hey look some estrogen!" while you be all "hahahaha... stupid cancer". Cancer is dumb and you are awesome. Keep it up. (Good to see you yesterday too!)
~Sarah Mc =)

Anonymous said...

Thank you for keeping us informed of your status and providing an explantion of the big words. You are an incredibly strong woman and it is an honor to know you. We all feed off your strength.

Lenny

Anonymous said...

Hi there, how are you doing? Well I thought that I've nothing to do but you're keeping me busy. I'm always looking in your blog to see if you've written and I'll tell you something, I can't wait til you write something else, you're very special and I love you!
Zia Tonia