Saturday, October 20, 2007

Side Effects

Interesting, almost exactly 12 hours to the minute after receiving the infusion did I feel the side effects. Laying on the couch, I started to feel achy in my hand joints and knee. Soon after, the fever started. 100.4, 100.6, now it's 102. Can't sleep. Most likely caused by the fever, made worse by the damn "Drip Drip Drip" that was happening. The ceiling was leaking because of the rain.

I lean over. "Thom? Thom?"
"Huh? What?!"
I was silent for a few seconds and then he heard it. "Drip Drip Drip"
"!@#$%&"
He gets up and puts a trash bucket under the drip.
He climbs back into bed.
"DRIP DRIP DRIP"
"!@#$%^& @#^T^@&"
He throws back the covers and walks to his dresser. I hear some shuffling and then he places a pair of socks at the bottom of the bucket.
Aaahh "drip dri dr" He's so resourceful.

Now I'm awake. Even my eyeballs hurt!

Funny how this triggered some memories of having fevers when I was a kid. The drug of choice was St. Joseph's children aspirin. Still sold today, I might add! (Ding! Shameless plug for St. Joe's aspirin! Where's my check?! LOL)

When I had fevers, my mom would dissolve 2 tablets in a tablespoon of water and waited until they started to dissolve. I still remember the texture and even the taste. It was comforting.

Other tricks she had in her arsenal (from bad to worse): stripping me naked so my teeth would chatter so hard I swear they were going to break in my head. Wet towels on my naked body (No comments about the naked part - I was just a kid - you PERVS! LOL), teeth chattering so hard now it shook my very brain. And the WORST: an ice bath. OH MY GOD! That should be listed as one of the top 50 worst tortue devices ever devised. Next to Chinese water torture DRIP DRIP DRIP!!! I say devised because it's evil! So evil, it's EEE-VEEL! Whole body went into convulsive spasms. Brrrrr. And my poor mom had to endure the screams, the crying and the pleading. The poor thing. Mothers are the strongest people I know.

I'm laughing out loud as I'm typing this. Memories, in the corner of my mind...
Memories are funny things.

Anyways, the achiness and fever are expected side effects, so this is just par for the course. This medicine will make me better, faster, stronger. They have the technology...

Heehee, another memory: The Six Million Dollar Man. Great show! Cheesy effects, but brilliant none-the-less. And six million dollars was a lot of money back then. Come to think of it, it's still a lot of money now!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey E,

Hope the side effects are subsiding and you're feeling better. You got me thinking of the good ole days of being sick when dear old Mom was always there to take care of you. I never got the ice bath for a fever (surprising given my mother's love of all things guilt-ridden and torturous). My mom's cure, in addition to chewable aspirin tables, was to drink ginger ale by the gallons and choke down some peanut butter and marshmallow sandwiches on saltines. Loved it! To this day, I can rarely drink plain ginger ale without feeling a little warm and clammy!

Libby

Anonymous said...

hey! I made a cheezburger picture and it made the site (chick'n sangwich) today. I'm famous. I left some treats for you in Thom's hotfile tonight. Hope you like them.
~Sarah =)

Anonymous said...

SO I just wanted to tell you that I think you're AMAZING. It was so good to see you last night. Just seeing you sitting on the bench brought the "hugest" smile to my face. I'm gonna miss those damn softball games and all the fun we had through the years. Hope we get to see eachother more often now that I can actually make it to the soccer games. And GO THOM!! Kickin' much ass with those goals last night. ;-) HUGS

~ Colleen

Becky Mills said...

Hey Emily!

It's me Becky aka THE VERB! Haven't been in touch with you guys since the TSI Mason and Spookyworld Days! Jerry just sent me the link to your blog.... I am absolutely horrified at this news. I am really sorry to hear this but am amazed by your grace. You seem to have such a great attitude and wish you nothing but the best. We are living in Germany so if you would like anything from jolly old Europe let me know (we have REALLY good chocolate over here!)
All my best and will continue to check your blog and wish you well.

With Much Love,
Becky
millsx4@tks-net.com