Thursday, March 17, 2011

There's no place like home

On Saturday, I went to Dana Farber for my chemo as usual.  The nurse came back with my blood results and they were unable to give me chemo that day because my white and red blood cells were very low.  The thing about this kind of chemo is that it hates bone marrow, so I run the risk of having low white blood cells (neutrophils) each time.  So I was what they called Neutropenic.  No, not Neutrogene, Neutropenic.  :)  The on-call doctor wanted to keep me in the hospital.  Just because of the fevers I was having that whole week before.  He didn't feel comfortable sending me out with no immune system.  Hey thanks doc!

I stayed at Brigham's until yesterday.  They ran every single culture they could think of, I got blasted with IV antibiotics, got MRI's and CT scans, but everything came back negative.  That's good, but I still don't know what causes these random fevers. 

Let's see, let's do a rating of the Brigham.  I might as well since I've been in many hospitals.  It'll be on a scale of 1 to 5 (IV bags)

Nurses: 4.5  They were all very nice and attentive
PCAs: 3.0  Leaves much to be desired, you ask them to do their job and they get all huffy
Room:  All single rooms because I was on a floor where they tried to minimize germ exposure.  The room was huge.
Food:  -10  This hospital had the WORST food I have every had.  I ordered a GRILLED cheese.  You know what I get?  Bread slightly toasted, a piece of cheese in the middle, served cold.  "Scrambled eggs" turned into an omelet, fake eggs.  Ahh well, as long as the medicines good, right?!

I have a follow up appointment with the doctor tomorrow and we'll see if I'll be able to get chemo.

I still don't feel "right", not that I ever did!  Hopefully every day will get better.  I'm planning on returning to work on Monday. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Well Em, they say that true friends can pick up right where they left off as if no time had passed! Guess that means we're TRUE BLUE, My friend!! =) Love ya lots, Chuckie C...xoxo